Tuesday, 10 June 2008 21:39
|Glenn C. Truesdell, Chair
|William Abbott, Vice-Chair
|The Finance Committee’s duties are as follows:
- In terms of budget-building, accountability reporting and chain of communication to the Board, serves as the Parent Committee to the Treasurer.
- Under the general direction of the Executive Committee, serves as the budget committee. It shall direct the County Administrator in the County’s budget-building process. Through dialogue, study and analysis, it shall prepare a proposed annual budget and appropriations resolution and a proposed levy ordinance. It shall ensure these instruments are presented to the Board no later than its regular meeting in October, for action at its regular meeting in November.
- Considers and refers to the Board, as required, re-appropriation resolutions during the course of the fiscal year for the uninterrupted conduct of county business.
- Reviews claims for Board allowances and reimbursements for travel expenses to ensure compliance with these By-Laws. May reject any expenditure which it deems not connected with county business and is further authorized to reject any unreasonable expenditure even though made in connection with county business.(See Schedule II.1)
- Reviews fund status reports of certain appropriated funds, as prepared by the County Administrator.
- Periodically reviews policies regarding the annual audit.
- Recommends to the Board a credentialed accounting firm for the performance of the annual audit of County funds by the September meeting of the Board.
- Directs the County Administrator in implementing recommendations in the annual audit report.
- Presents to the Board such resolutions as may be required in the matter of tax anticipation warrants, as necessary, and to ensure proper procedures are followed.
- With advice from the Insurance Committee, advises and directs the County Administrator in assuring the County is adequately insured against major loss and liability.
- With advice from the Insurance Advisory Committee, advises and directs the County Administrator in contracting for the County’s health and life insurance products are for the County’s employees.
- Reviews and approves/denies contingency claims.
- Examines and, if found proper, approves all bonds submitted by county officers who are required to file bonds with the Board; ensures these bonds are approved by the Board and that bonds purchased on an annual basis are renewed before they default.
- Considers grant requests directed to the Board and makes recommendations thereto.
- Performs other general duties of the Finance Committee as described in the County Code.